Sunday, June 4, 2017

572nd Place - David Palmer

Card #732

On the back of Palmer's baseball card is a line break in the middle of his statistical accomplishments, right there in the slot for the 1983 season.  It reads:

"ON DISABLED LIST"

As a kid that was always slightly troubling to me.  On the disabled list?  For an entire year?  What happened?  In the 1980's this wasn't entirely common like it is in today's game.  The only thing scarier on the back of a card?

"DID NOT PLAY"

Why the heck didn't he play?  At least with an "on disabled list" you had a bit of an explanation.  But "did not play"???  That was very distressing.


5 comments:

  1. As boring as this set it and how I've never really liked it, this blog is starting to bring me around. I may need to find a few wax boxes, sit down, and just revel in the simplistic beauty of this set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I'm excited to finally reach the top 100 or so - there are some real gems on that end of the countdown...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw someone post a custom 88T of a current Rockies player on their page. It was pretty darn sweet looking.

      Delete
  3. Palmer's uniform is weird. It seems to have the "new" (at least new for 87) tomahawk on his jersey but he's wearing the old pants and hat. The jersey also seems to be in the old pull-over style fashion too.

    I'm not sure what his deal is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the pull-over jerseys.

      Delete