Saturday, February 4, 2017

Give Me Your 2017 "Rediscover Topps" 1988's!!!

Hello friends!

Last night on the way home from work I swung by my local card shop because they were finally stocked with the new 2017 Topps.  I decided to splurge and buy a box - that's 36 packs of card, ten cards per pack (unless you get a relic or auto, as the fine print notes...).

I gotta say, the new set really grew on me as I unpacked card after card.  It still drives me crazy that the entire player career isn't on the back of the card (they've cut that this year, to five seasons) but the addition of player social media account names was actually kind of interesting to me.

One of the things Topps is doing with the 2017 set is adding in stamped cards from the past again, this time titled as "Rediscover Topps."  And wouldn't you know it...I landed a 1988 card!  That's right, Sweet Lou Piniella is now all mine.  And that got me thinking...shouldn't I have ALL of the 1988 stamped cards?  The answer to that question is YES.  I SHOULD.  So if you come across a "Rediscover Topps" 1988 stamped card - I want it.  All 792!  I'm only 791 from getting them all!

But Piniella wasn't the only Rediscover Topps I got...can you say TIM RAINES ROOKIE CARD!?!?

I tweeted my good fortune and managed to get Jonah Keri to respond!

I'll show off some more of the 2017's - here are the "shiny" ones:


The 1987 designed cards came in a special pack the card shop gave me for buying a box.  The Robbie Grossman is number 60/66, so that was pretty cool.  Here are some of the 1987 design inserts:


I'm an Orioles fan of course, so I actually giggled at getting the Adam Jones.  I think the Don Mattingly is the best of the bunch, though.

I was surprised by how much I like the 5-Tool inserts too:


And finally - each box is guaranteed a relic or an autograph.  Sadly, no auto, but I did get this Rick Porcello jersey card:

I'm not much of a Porcello fan, and I definitely don't dig the Red Sox so let me know if this interests you.

In the meantime...SEND ME YOUR "Rediscover Topps" 1988 CARDS!!!

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't they have put the stamp across the top edge of the Tim Raines card instead of obscuring the names? Especially since they put it there on all the vertically oriented cards!

    ReplyDelete