Tuesday, November 22, 2016

586th Place - Mike Moore

Card #432

I got my "Secret Santa" assignment today from Bob Walk the Plank and headed straight over to COMC to commence my shopping.  I gotta say, I had a lot of fun trying to maximize my gifts in relation to the price range and interests of my chosen blogger.  I think I did quite well!  I'll have to post more about it as we get closer to Christmas...

My apologies to Mike Moore, who by the looks of his face on the right, couldn't be less interested in my Santa purchases.  Moore had a very interesting career.  He was the first overall pick in the 1981 draft, ahead of notables like Joe Carter, Matt Williams, Ron Darling, Frank Viola, Tony Gwynn and even John Elway!  He would be in the majors for the Mariners by 1982, starting 27 games but posting in E.R.A. above five.  He played with Seattle through the 1988 season but never really found sustained success.

That all changed in 1989, his first season with Oakland.  He made his lone All-Star team and recorded a minute 2.61 E.R.A. while finishing third in Cy Young voting.  The A's won the World Series that year and Moore won both games he started in the Fall Classic.  He was never that effective again but did lead the league in starts for three straight years (1992-94), something he did back in 1986 too.  That might be Moore's most lasting attribute - the consummate innings-eater who took the ball whenever it was handed to him.  It was good enough to win 161 big league games over a fourteen year career.

As near as I can tell, Moore is back in his native Oklahoma these days, and sometimes volunteers with the local high school baseball team.

No comments:

Post a Comment