Saturday, April 2, 2016

607th Place - Brian Dayett

Card #136

This card showcases something so awesome, I want you to take a minute and see if you can spot what I'm talking about.  Go ahead, take a look.

Do you see it?

That's right...stirrup socks.  Dayett is rocking his so high and tight that you can see the space between the taught strap and his ankle.  That's glorious.

Stirrups always remind me of little league baseball.  Few things were so vexing yet exciting for a kid.  I had no idea what the practical purpose of a stirrup was.  My feet were small and skinny as a kid, so it wasn't uncommon for them to ride up over my heal and out of my cleat.  But pulling those bad boys up came with a palpable thrill.  Stirrups meant this wasn't one of the endless practices after school.  Stirrups meant this wasn't your dad taking you to a weed infested field on Saturday morning to hit grounders to you.  Stirrups meant it was GAME DAY!  Stirrups meant you got to wear your jersey too!  Stirrups meant...you had to find a pair of all-white tube socks or you were going to look stupid with a pattern or color.

If I were the MLB Commissioner for a day my first decree would be pants can't be longer than mid-calf, and everyone has to wear stirrups.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment