Monday, August 3, 2015

636th Place - Robbie Wine

Card #119

So, my first name is Rob.  As such, players with that same first name stick out in my mind - Ducey, Deer, Wilfong, etc.  Robbie Wine is particularly interesting to me, though, because that was my commonly used moniker from birth through the second grade.  In between the second and third grade we moved from Sheppard AFB near Wichita Falls, TX, to Puyallup, WA.  On the first day of class the teacher was going through roll call and asked, "Robert?"  I replied that I was here, and she asked if I went by Robert or a nickname of that.  I don't know why, but I said, "Rob."  I guess now that I was in a new city and a big-time third grader, I figured it was time to go with a more mature iteration.

The funny thing, though, is that my Grandma Bonnie never made the transition.  She called me "Robbie" until the day she died, which was in my late twenties.  I remember once being home on college vacation and we were doing an obligatory family call to her, and when I got on the phone she asked, "Do you have a girlfriend right now, Robbie?"  I kind of chuckled and said, "No Grandma, I'm kind of between girlfriends right now."  And then she replied, "That's OK, Robbie.  You know what I say - love 'em and leave 'em!"  Grandma Bonnie was kind of crazy.

Robbie Wine is the son of former big leaguer Bobby Wine.  Robbie was a first round pick by the Astros, but after the 1987 season he would never make it back to the big leagues, making this card superfluous.  In his post-player career he did return to his home state of Pennsylvania (which is bizarrely shortened to "Penna." on the back of his card) to manage at Penn State for nine years before resigning in 2013.

I'll throw a "gratuitous product placement" tag on this card for the Franklin gloves.  Did Franklin have exclusive rights to batting gloves in 1988?  They seem to be the only brand I've seen in this set...

No comments:

Post a Comment