Sunday, August 9, 2015

634th Place - Dwayne Henry

Card #178

I think I've mentioned this before, but I lived in Texas from sixth grade through eighth, back in the late eighties.  We were a couple of hours north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.  The Rangers teams during those years have a special place in my heart, not because of their talent level, but because that was the era my baseball card interest really blossomed and I was fortunate enough to have parents who loved taking their two sons to ball games.  We weren't really Rangers fans, though.  In fact, my dad would usually pick games based on the visiting team.  "Hey, the Red Sox are in town, let's go see Bogss, Evans, and Rice..."

All that being said, there was something lovable about how bad the Rangers were.  Dwayne Henry's card symbolizes some of that.  When you look on the back of it, you see the stats: 4.94 career ERA, 46 strikeouts compared to 45 walks...it's all so Rangers.  I love it.

Henry debuted in 1984 and last played in the majors in 1995.  He bounced around quite a bit, osculating between the bigs and the minors most of that time.  He put two nice seasons together in 1991 and 92, with the Astros and Reds respectively.

Henry came to be a professional baseball player out of Delaware, which isn't exactly the most renown state for baseball.  Here's kind of a sad story about Henry turning down an offer to play football for UNC when he signed his pro contract.  Sounds like Henry had some regrets about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment