Tuesday, August 19, 2014

667th Place - Ron Roenicke

Card #783

I've mentioned before that I'm a die-hard Orioles fan, but I'm ashamed to admit that, as a kid, I don't think I realized Gary Roenicke was Ron's brother.  It's not like they have a common last name.  Gary was a very rugged looking guy, while I always thought Ron was a bit dorky in appearance.  Those glasses aren't helping.  Maybe Ron is discussing his specs with fellow four-eyes Greg Grosss?  That's him in the corner, after all.

All teasing aside, Ron is having a heck of a season as the skipper for the Milwaukee Brewers this year.  He's starting to pick up steam for "Manager of the Year" consideration. 

About 14 years ago I threw away a lot of my common cards from the late 80's and early 90's.  My professional career requires me to move quite a bit, and I didn't want to lug around junk cardboard.  I completely regret it now.  Just think of how many future manager of the year cards are now in a landfill.  I apologize, Ron.  I should have known better.

(Gary's son and Ron's, nephew, Josh, has made it to the big leagues off and on the past few years.  That's a heck of a baseball family...)

2 comments:

  1. You posted this card on his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start paying more attention to the backs of the card!

    ReplyDelete