Sunday, August 24, 2014

665th Place - Calvin Schiraldi

Card #599

My apologies to any Sox fans who just threw something at their computer screen.  Rightly or wrongly, Schiraldi is a dirty word for many in New England.  He was a key culprit in the 1986 World Series collapse.  Despite flashes of brilliance early in his career, Schiraldi would retire by the age of 29.

I'm not here to pick scabs with Boston fans, though.  This card is just plain weird looking.  It's hard to tell by the angle, but I think he's warming up on a bullpen mound during spring training.  His face and body language don't express any sort of enthusiasm for it.  I'm also puzzled by the white fabric on the underside of his throwing arm.  What is that? 

Calvin's son is now a starter at his alma mater, the University of Texas.  Calvin is actually a UT Hall of Famer.  If I'm not mistaken Calvin has been coaching at a high school in Austin since his playing days ended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment