Saturday, May 17, 2014

681st Place - Jose DeLeon

Card #634

Check out the symmetry of the trees behind Jose.  Combined with the green "White Sox" lettering this card looks like the most eco-friendly shot in the set.  I wonder if that's a real background or if Topps took Jose to the local JC Penney portrait studio.

I think I mentioned this before, but that late-80's Chicago cap is my least favorite hat in the history of MLB.  As a kid it looked more like a cursive, lowercase "e" to me.  But if I'm not mistaken, they followed it with one of the best, the classic black with the old-English "Sox" on the front. 

Two things stand out on the back of this card.  First, Jose led the league in losses with 19 in 1985.  Eek.  Second, the "this way to the clubhouse" section mentions DeLeon was traded by the Pirates to the White Sox straight up for Bobby Bonilla.  That can't be a happy memory for White Sox fans...

No comments:

Post a Comment