Wednesday, April 2, 2014

687th Place - Mike Easler

Card #741

There are two relics displayed in this card that I kind of love.  The first is the batting helmet without the ear flap.  These are now extinct, of course.  Ozzie Smith is the last active player I remember wearing one.

The second is Mike's jheri curls.  It was the late 80's when this looked begin to disappear from the game.  My favorite player, Eddie Murray, was one of the last holdouts.  I remember getting ribbed by my junior high friends about it.  Mike looks pretty confident letting it spill out from his ancient brain bucket.

I didn't realize it at the time, but this was Easler's last card because 1987 was his final season.  He retired with a .293 average, which is nothing to sneeze at.  Most folks remember him for his years as a Pirate, but I always think of his monster season with the 1984 Red Sox.  He batted .313 with a .515 slugging percentage and set career highs in home runs and RBI's.


1 comment:

  1. I think it was Tim Raines that was the last player to bat without the ear flap. I am too lazy to use the googles to look this up.

    ReplyDelete