Thursday, March 7, 2013

770th Place - Jose Nunez

Card #28

1988 was the first year I had any sort of disposable income dedicated to buying baseball cards.  As a result, I bought a ton of them.  Topps, Donruss, Score, Fleer - you name it, I spent my meager allowance on it.  I loved those cards, commons and stars alike.  I still have many of their images seared in my head.

When I was ranking this Topps set, I had absolutely no memory or recollection of Jose Nunez.

This card could be a complete fabrication, a mock-up of a fake player.  As near as I can tell, it's his only Topps card ever made.  Upper Deck caught him in a Cubs uniform for their 1991 set, but that doesn't ring any bells for me either. 

Jose Nunez, you are a blip on the radar of baseball's timeline.  But at least you're a blip!  And if Wikipedia is accurate, you provided Peter Gammons a pretty funny anecdote in spring training back in 1988.

1 comment:

  1. Nunez is on a few other '88 cards, Donruss, Fleer and Score. I think I have his '90 Donruss card, too.

    ReplyDelete