Sunday, February 24, 2013

780th Place - Dennis Rasmussen

Card #135

I don't get it, I really don't get it.

Back in the 80's, Topps saved the card numbers ending in 5 and 0 for star players.  How did Rasmussen earn his card number?  He did have 18 wins in 1986, but his other stats from that year hardly indicated he was anything other than lucky.

The longer I look at this card, the more I think I should have had him ranked lower.  Rasmussen came to Cincinnati from the Yankees during the 1987 season, but Topps showed no mercy on the airbrushing.  It takes a certain amount of guts to dye black to red.  You can also tell they cropped Rasmussen from his original background to the artificial blue.  I penalized Tito Landrum more harshly for a similar setup, but there's something about Dennis Rasmussen's earnest smile that bewitches me.  I might be turning into a softie.

No comments:

Post a Comment